In the past few weeks I’ve seen some people asking about wordpress in forums here, so I guess I will write a little guide for wordpress and how to set it up. For the clueless, wordpress is a program that allows you to blog on your own server. This means that you can get a blog on your own domain name and your own web host and all the data will be stored with the web host. You are no more under blogger or xanga.com!
Why do people want to use wordpress on your own web host instead of blogger? Firstly, you will not need to be afraid that your posts are against any terms and conditions of blogger or any other site. Its your own server and you can post whatever you want, other than porn or pirated stuff, of which your own web host will ban you. Secondly, wordpress is very flexible. You can install many plugins however you want. Plugins include comment spam detectors which detect spam and delete them. Finally, you get to put as many ads as you want. I do know that wordpress.com users cannot put any ads. A pity though.
Ok. Now moving on to the setting up of wordpress. I assumed that you have downloaded wordpress by now?
If you want, you can look at their information on installation.
By now I assume you also have a web host that supports PHP and MySQL? Do note that MySQL is extremely important. Without MySQL, you cannot have a database, and without a database, you cannot save your posts online. Thus please do check that your web host supports both php and MySQL.
*Note: For those with web hosts that come with software like Installatron, you can just install wordpress with a click of the mouse. Check your webhost out.
1) Unzip the file you just downloaded from wordpress
2) Decide if you want your blog to be on http://www.yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com/subfolder
3) Rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php.
4) Open up wp-config.php using notepad
5) Now you will see that you need to input some values, primarily:
the values of your database name, your database username and database password.
6) Log on to your web host and create a new database. Then substitute the values in. It will look something like this:
7) Have you decided if you want your blog to be on http://www.yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com/subfolder? If its the first, upload all the files to the directory. If its the second, create a new folder and upload the contents into the folder.
8) Install wordpress by accessing http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php or http://www.yourdomain.om/subfolder/wp-admin/install.php, depending on what you chose at point 7.
Isn’t it easy? Just follow the instructions from wordpress and you will be done. WordPress is definitely easy to install!