[Note: This will be a series of blog posts that I write about various Networking-related topics. The aim of this is to help other people who want to make a switch to the cybersecurity industry, or people who want to get a basic understanding of networking. As such, it will not go in depth, as I am also a beginner in this industry. As a mid-careerist and a father, I find that I require to the point articles on what I should know]
As a baseline, I aim to cover the following topics in the future. Whenever new topics are published, I will update the links. This will become a content-page and more topics will be added when deemed suitable.
I do not aim to spoon feed as well. Part of surviving in the industry is knowing how to get the information yourself. As a total newbie, I faced difficulty in not knowing what I should pick up on my own, and hence I thought minimally there should be a good list to start off. Here goes:
- IP Addresses
- IPv4 vs IPv6
- How are computers identified by their IP
- How are private network addresses assigned behind your home router
- Ping (and what does it mean when ping fails)
- How to see your IP
- TCP vs UDP
- Fundamental differences
- How to see your computer’s current connections
- How traffic flows from your device connected to your home router, out to the internet
- What does ports mean
- How many ports are there
- Can we reuse the same port
- What happens when you connect via a VPN.
This is still a work in progress list, so do feel free to contribute ideas to this list!